The foundation of the shrine dates back to the fifth year of Kannji (1091) in the Heian Period, when Minamoto no Yoshiie, a powerful samurai lord, stayed in Setagaya for tens of days as heavy rain prevented him from proceeding on his way back from then Ohshu Province, now Tohoku Area. While staying here, Yoshiie gave a ceremony for Hachiman Deity of Usa, whom he worshiped, and instructed the villagers to worship the deity as the guardian god for this area and build a shrine for this purpose. Yoshiie also did sumo wrestling with his subordinates on this occasion. This is said to be the origin of the Sumo Wrestling matches held in celebration of the Autumnal Festival, which was called one of the major three Sumo Wrestling Events in the Edo Period. Later, Kira Yoriyasu, then Lord of the Setagaya Castle, renovated the shrine structure in the fifteenth year of Tenmon (1546) in the Sengoku Period, when he is said to have donated a sward by Unji of Bizen Area to the shrine.
In the Edo Period, Ieyasu, Tokugawa Shogun, donated land of eleven koku (land units). The precinct of the shrine amounts to 4000 tsubos, or 13200 square meters now.
Though the name of the shrine was changed to Gosha Usa Shrine because of the government's policy in the Meiji Period, it returned to the original name "Setagaya Hachiman Shrine after the war, when Shinto shrines were not under the jurisdiction of the government any more.
The current shrine structure was renovated in the 39th year of Showa (1964), and inside the sacred door to the Honden ( the main building where the deities are enshrined) is the wooden shrine structure which, according to the Oba' s documents, was built in the tenth year of Bunka (1813) in the Edo Period.
Setagaya Hachiman Shrine is now enthusiastically worshipped by its parishioners and worshipers as a guardian shrine for Setagaya Area.
Dedicated to Koratamatare-no-mikoto
The Festival : June 30th
Tenso Shrine, Kora Shrine, Konpira Shrine, Rokusho Shrine, Kitano Shrine, Mitake Shrine, Himisaki Shrine and Inari Shrine, which were separately located in this precinct and the Ujiko area (shrine parishioners' living area), were integrated into this Kora Shrine in 1912, the first year of Taisho.
Dedicated to the spirits of the war dead in the Japan-Russia War and the Pacific War from Setagaya Ward, Tokyo.
The shrine structure, which used to be worshipped as Nogi Shrine (built by General Nogi's nephew Masayuki Tamaki) located in 1-chome, Setagaya Ward, was transferred here to the hill for the former soldiers and dedicated to the war dead from 1-chome, Shirota, Tsurumaki-cho and Kyodo-cho in 1956, 31st year of Showa.
Dedicated to Ichikishimahime-no-mikoto
The Festival : The Eve of September Autumnal Major Festival
The goddess is also called Bentensama because she is considered to be the same deity as Benzaiten of the Shichifukujin. The goddess is responsive to prayers for wisdom, wealth, prosperity of offspring, maritime safety and so on.
Sumo wrestling matches are held in celebration of the Autumnal Festival The event was called one of the major three Sumo Wrestling Events in the Edo Period.